Why Should I Remove a Stump?
There are many reasons why tree stumps should be removed including:
- Tree Stumps can be aesthetically unappealing and take away from the overall look of your garden.
- Free up garden space for planting, turfing etc
- Tree Stumps can regenerate (suckering)
- Tree stumps can harbour fungal root disease such as Honey Fungus which can spread throughout your garden and attack shrubs and plants. There is no known treatment for Honey Fungus other than to remove all affected plants.
- Tree Stumps and exposed roots can hinder grass cutting or even damage lawn mowers.
- Tree Stumps and exposed root networks can cause trip hazards especially with the young and elderly
Is Stump Grinding the only way to remove a stump?
No is the short answer, but it certainly is the most effective way. We have come across many customers who have wasted time, energy and money trying other methods.
- Chemical poisons – In our experience, they have little to no affect especially in stumps that are not fresh. See our photo gallery for examples
- Burning – Again not a very efficient way to tackle stumps
- Copper Piping – Not sure where this one comes from but this does not work. We have been to quite a few quotes where copper piping has been hammered into stumps to accelerate stump rotting. All it does is prevents us from stump grinding the stump.
- Digging out – This is achievable with very small stumps but if you have a large stump, save your back and get the professionals in.
- Chain sawing – Chain saws are great for cutting down trees, but are not to be used anywhere near soil or stones. Why do you think tree surgeons leave stumps above ground level
We wont mention the gentleman who thought he could pull a stump out of his front garden using his 4x4 and some rope, (oops we just did) lets just say that he learnt a very expensive lesson.
What Is Stump Grinding?
Stump grinding involves the stump of the tree being ground down using specialist equipment called a stump grinder.
Stump grinders come in all different shapes and sizes but majority have a large rotating cutter that can quickly and efficiently break up the wood. The remains of the trunk and major roots are ground until it is completely below the surface of the soil.
The end product is a mixture of wood chip and soil that can be safely used to compost or spread across the garden as a weed suppressant.
Every job is different. In order to offer you an accurate price we need an understanding of the work involved. Size of stumps, number of stumps, height of stump above ground level, kind of tree, how deep the stump needs to be taken, access and stump location are all factors that can effect the price.
We are able to visit for a free, no pressure, no obligation quotation or may depending on the complexity of the work be able to offer a price over the phone. We pride ourselves on being competitive on both price and service and have had many customers and contractors tell us how fair our price is compared to other stump grinder operations.
Yes is the short answer, but be aware that the machines available for rent tend to be the bottom of the range models, poorly maintained and with blunt teeth. Factor in the lack of safety equipment (PPE) and protective guards that should be used when stump grinding then it really is a false economy.
Recently we did a job for a couple who needed to remove eight stumps to prepare the ground for turfing. The man of the house was a hands on kind of guy who was happy to try anything. After a weekend of manually trying to dig the stumps out he decided to rent a stump grinder from his local rental shop. The next weekend he once again set to work. Two hours in and he had only touched the top of one of the stumps, broken a windows and bruised his shins. We were able to complete the work in a day and for a lot less than the rental cost and replacement window.
Stump Grinding is dangerous and should really be left to professionals who have the correct equipment, training and experience. Many rental shops have now discontinued offering stump grinders for this very reason.